Ice cream cake manufacturer consolidated two plants into one new facility, with a completely new workforce. Throughput was half of required capacity, causing one of the old plants to stay open in order to meet demand.
- Assessed the current state of operations and material flow at the new plant
- Identified: 1) Production cells were sometimes over-staffed and other times under-staffed, depending on the product being made, 2) The production teams did not know how to flex to different operations, and 3) Production cells often did not have the materials needed to meet throughput goals
- Calculated labor requirements for each product at each discrete production step
- Turned calculations into detailed cellular design and staffing plan by cell and task for each product as a graphic that was projected on the plant’s walls to help production teams understand how to maximize throughput
- Set up kanban materials storage close to production lines to support raw material availability to the production cells
- Doubled throughput with the same number of operations people
Learn more about our Plant and Warehouse Operations Services