New (green-field) facility consolidating separate manufacturing and distribution center sites into one facility
- Value Stream Mapped manufacturing operations to identify non-value added steps and internal best practices
- Used Spaghetti Mapping, Time & Motion Studies and Process Flow Mapping to analyze the current state of: 1) receiving to putaway, 2) pick/pack/ship, and 3) information flows from manufacturing plans, suppliers and customers
- Improvements: 1) Specified different racking types (drive through, traditional racking, narrow-aisle) and forktrucks (traditional forktrucks, reach trucks, swing-reach trucks) based on volume, velocity and temperature storage requirements. In temperature controlled areas used narrow aisle racking and swing-reach trucks to minimize storage space.
- Improvements: 2) Aligned different racking types with separate dock doors based on delivery trucks (full truckload, mixed pallet LTL, local delivery box truck)
- Improvements, 3) Utilized best practices identified in Value Stream Mapping to reduce labor requirements and speed-up equipment changeover
- Combined warehouse and plant has allowed for growing sales with the same number of people previously employed in the two separate sites